Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Chinese that is low fat and gluten free

I went to Indian Trails Public Library last week and attended a lecture/tasting by Esther Moy from the Golden Chef in Wheeling Ill. Fantastic!!!

She made a Chinese dish that was out of this world.. so
last night I tried to make the same thing.. her recipe was:

chicken ( trimmed breast meat)
Pea Pods (peeled) from Guatemala
Red Pepper ( from CA)
Ginger ( from Brazil)
onion ( from Wisconsin)
Garlic peeled ( from China)
Rice Flour ( I used Bob's Red Mill)

Notice  - no amounts.. Season to taste!! LOL

Her homemade chicken broth used chicken, ginger, water. She also has it available to buy if you choose not to make it. I bought Imagine Soups Chicken broth.

She emphasized FRESH ingredients.

She steamed the chicken chunks for 3 minutes..I chunked 2 breasts of chicken, sans skin, and chunked up then onion into small pieces placed them into the wok.
I added 1/2 onion . ( it was a really big onion, if normal size ,I would use the whole onion.)
I skipped the garlic as Scott and garlic don't agree..

But i cooked the chicken and onion until the chicken was cooked, without oil. I was amazed!

For years ,I have  been  making stir fry, and adding tons of olive oil to brown the chicken and make the onion translucent..but the chicken and onion browned up..Although I did watch it closely.

I added pea pods ( about 2 cups) and red pepper chunks to the wok.

then I added 1/2 chicken soup..and covered for 3 minutes.

Once it was done, I mixed 1 TBS of rice flour and 1/2 cup of chicken broth. Mixed them well, and it was murky.

I added this "gravy" to the wok, stirred it up to included the chicken, etc..and cooked for an additional 2 minutes.
 Put it over brown rice.. It was a bit bland, so I added some orange sauce ..

YUM! I am gonna make that again..

No comments:

Post a Comment