Tuesday, April 3, 2012

I am going off on Dominick's ( Safeway)

I decided to make a beef stew since all I did was chicken so far..so I looked at Stephanie O'Dea's blog crockpot 365 for a beef stew and found one I liked.

..http:/crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/11/crockpot-azrorean-spiced-beef-stew.html

My definition of one I like was a recipe that is easy  for me..not too many ingredients, or throwing the stew in a pan, then doing something else, then throwing back etc ..not EASY.. I do like to cook, but not COOK..know what I mean??

I walked to Dominick's, not far from my house, so I could get some exercise and save money on gas.. Anyway, got there with list in hand, I started at the zucchini..bad looking, had pock marks and I thought they wanted $.99 for this and it looked disgusting almost like a second,when it was supposed to be first quality... so I skipped it, it wasn't in the recipe anyway and went on to the next thing..all sad looking and expensive.. hmmm..
I looked at the Rice Chex's for a price and it was on sale at $3.59.(YIKES)

So I left..phooey! and walked home muttering to myself.

I jumped in my car, drove all the way to the northside of town and went to Mariano's.
I walked in and they had zucchini for $0.69 per lbs and it looked really good. So I went overboard and bought carrots, broccoli, bananas, green pepper, red pepper, onions, meat etc..all looking good and at a better price. Then the final straw was my Rice Chex cereal..not on sale..was $3.29!!

So I am done with Dominick's for good! When it was Dominick's it was much better, but since Safeway bought it, I have a check dates on goods as they will sell outdated or soon to be outdated products.

After all this shopping at Mariano's, I got home, had salad for dinner  and made the beef stew for the next day.The stew turned out to be quite tasty..

Today, I am doing salmon on the grill, asparagus, salad and a white wine..YUMMY!
Geoff is home ( and Scott is not) so fish is in order, and since he just turned 21, wine with dinner will be great.


I found a recipe for the salmon marinate from Jefferson Adams, a writer in San Francisco. His blog is at http://celiac.com/articles/22540/1/Marinated-Grilled-Salmon-Gluten-Free/Page1.html

I'll let you know if the recipe is any good.


No comments:

Post a Comment