Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Made Crock Pot Orange Chicken

I was so amazing.. I have been at the Gluten Free for a month and a few days. I do feel better and will stick with it. although i have been thinking about cookies and cakes. I need to make some GF brownies to help me. Or maybe i just want them!!

Been doing  burgers ( Costco has turkey burgers that are GF), chicken, fish (I had Cod so I used Peach Salsa on it, folded it in foil..YUMMY!) on the grill..It is a Weber charcoal type... easy... just throw a salad together and grill the main course..  add veggies and voila a wonderful meal! Of course being in the 80s in Chi has helped..perfect weather for grilling.

Even tough it was warm, tonight I decided to make Slow Crooker Orange Chicken Recipe from Stephanie O'Dae.    http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2009/slow-cooker-orange-chicken-recipe

"1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken, cut in 2-inch chunks ( recipe called for 1 1/2 lbs but i used 3 lbs) so i doubled the sauce.
1/2 cup flour (I used King Arthur Gluten Free flour )
olive oil, for browning the chicken
1 tablespoon kosher salt ( I forgot this)
6 ounces (1/2 can) frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed ( I used the whole can)
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons ketchup


The Directions.

Use a 4 quart slow cooker for best results. Dredge the chicken pieces with the flour, and shake off the excess. Go ahead and throw away any remaining flour, we won't need it. Heat olive oil in a large skillet on the stove and brown the chicken on all sides. There is no need to fully cook it, just sear it enough for the flour to stick and get a nice coating.

Plop the chicken pieces into your slow cooker. In a small mixing bowl, combine the orange juice concentrate, brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, salt, and ketchup. Taste. If you'd like the chicken to be a bit sweeter, add a touch more sugar. Pour sauce mixture evenly over the chicken, and toss gingerly to coat.

Cover and cook on low for 6 hours, or on high for 3 to 4. Serve over white or brown rice."

I used brown rice and pea pods, carrots, red pepper, and broccoli steamed for veggies. I made this after work, so I cooked it on high.

I had ketchup, but since I doubled  the sauce, I didn't have enough. So I used what i had - LOL..- a tablespoon of the peach salsa ( I figured it had a tomato base)  and 2 tablespoons of Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce.. The sauce thicken as it cooked and i didn't put any thickener in it.. 

 Amazing!!

I was GREAT!.. Scott and Eric ate several bowls and i only have a 1/2 bowl left over . Eric's only comment was that i needed to cut the chicken smaller..

A Success, thanks to Stephanie!!

No comments:

Post a Comment